It’s that time of year again, however I’ve decided to support and feature small businesses instead of bigger brands in my gift guide this year, because as many of you know, due to the widespread news of Covid-19, many owners have had to cut losses or even worse, close their businesses, which is very unfortunate. So, let’s get straight into it!
1. Just Sew Helen is a small business founded by a long term midwife who specialised in high risk pregnancies and baby loss. Paired with an affinity for sewing and a passion for textile art, Just Sew Helen was born to provide hand embroidered keepsakes. The hand sewn Scrappy Owl Memory Bear is the perfect gift for a child to remember a loved one and aid with bereavement this festive season. It is created using cherished fabric and can also be personalised with embroidery.
2. My Mood Stars is run by former early years practitioner, Wendy Woo, in order to encourage emotional development within children whilst they are immersing themselves in imaginative play. The My Mood Stars Board is a brilliant bundle including a paintable mood board and eight mood stars which are sure to provide hours of fun, through games and story-telling, for the recipient.
3. The Uh Oh Milo book series has been created by a group of talented mums hoping to teach young children good manners through their fascinating stories full of amazing adventures. The brand new Uh Oh Milo – The Excited Elf has dropped just in time for Christmas; an elf has the important job of making sure all the children are asleep at night so Santa can visit them to drop off their presents! This would make a brilliant bedtime story for any child, even when Christmas is over.
4. Kids Life Clothing is an online luxury boutique curating a selection of the latest pieces your child needs in life. Whilst there’s a gorgeous pick of luxury clothing, this Matchstick Monkey teething toy stands out. Teething can be a painful and uncomfortable process for babies, so this is perfect to help soothe the source of pain with its textured bumps, and it’s designed to fit comfortably in baby hands so it can be taken anywhere. It is sure to be a hit with both parents and babies this festive season.
5. Bastet & Bee are created by an incredible power couple on a mission to bring an innovative look at everyday objects and inspire people to unleash their creative potential. The Play gift set is the ideal starter pack for teens consisting of two HB pencils, one ‘Inspiration’ notepad and one ‘Play’ notepad, both with 50 premium quality and sustainable blank sheets, all wrapped up in luxury tissue paper and a card with the option for a personalised message.
6. Good Things seeks out ethical and sustainable toys making it easier to purchase them all in one place, so for those looking to gift a child more consciously this festive season, this is a great business to support. This Green Toys Car Carrier set includes one carrier truck with a detachable double-decker trailer alongside three separate cars, all made from eco-friendly plastic and toxic-free.
7. Jewellery Dreams is a small business created by Jacqui Alves; a silversmith and experienced jewellery designer/maker. It sells a unique collection of long-lasting handmade pieces using precious crystals, cultured pearls and quality sterling silver. This crystal clear quartz bracelet will make a stunning gift for a young lady this festive season, handmade from beautifully arranged sterling silver and quartz.
8. Ness Seaglass Jewellery is an award-winning small business creating stunning pieces of recycled accessories from natural seaglass found directly at the Loch Ness. This Bronze Dragon bookmark is the perfect gift for the child who always has their nose in a book. It’s regal design paired with Loch Ness sea glass chips and an assortment of jade beads with the additional option for personalisation and presentation in a beautiful gift box makes it ideal to gift this festive season.
9. Lauren Marie Studio is founded by Lauren Marie, an illustrator and calligrapher, inspired by the natural world, décor and the Arts. She hand creates and customises a range of stationery, home décor items as well as greeting cards and one-off art pieces. The personalised ceramic Star Hanging Bauble is a best seller this year with endless customisation options, perfect to treasure for the years to come and use as a wall hanging ornament after Christmas.
10. Twysted Roots specialises in spectacular handmade wire and bead tree sculptures. It’s no wonder it’s won countless awards for its unique creations. This Aurora Sky; wire tree sculpture on a peacock ore base is crafted from a mix of glass seed beads, frosted fire polished etched Czech glass beads, copper wire and a fine peacock ore crystal. It would make a beautiful keepsake or room ornament for a teen to admire with its delicate and creative nature.
Until next time.